Monday, April 21, 2008

T20 gives me freedom to play my shots: Gambhir


Gautam Gambhir was a sensation in the Twenty20 World Cup last year. He was among runs and played his shots all over the park. The southpaw, who scored a half-century in the first game played by the Delhi Daredevils in the IPL, is hopeful that he can play a crucial role for team in this tournament.

Have you set any personal targets for the IPL?

My target is to make sure that I win the match for my team. It was a tremendous feeling when I scored some runs in the T20 World Cup last year. But now, that is in the past. As an opener, my job is to give some good starts to my team. For me, it's important that my runs come handy for the team and that I stand up and be counted when it matters the most. Individual records really do not make much impact if your team does not win.

Batsmen get less time to settle down in the T20 format. Is this a problem?

If you are playing a Twenty20 match, it gives you that extra liberty to play your shots. But when you are an opener, the perfect way to bat is to get used to the pace and bounce of the wicket and then shift gears according to the situation. For me, this format works because it gives me freedom to play my shots. At the same time, you can get enough time to settle down.

After six matches, which team looks the best?

It's too early to comment. This is an unpredictable format and that is why you cannot single out any one team and say that they will win the IPL championship. If you have five bad overs in a game, you can end up on the losing side. From the last couple of matches, one thing is quite clear: any team is capable of winning and so you cannot really take it easy. It's exciting and I am sure that the spectators are going to love every moment of it.

What is your impression of the foreign recruits?

It's a completely different experience. This is the perfect platform to know each other. During international matches, we don't have this kind of interaction. A tournament like IPL will help us make friends with all cricketers from South Africa, Australia, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, West Indies or Pakistan.

How effective is Virender Sehwag as a captain?

Viru is a thinking captain and can rotate his bowlers very intelligently. Even when I am batting with him, I have a great understanding. As a cricketer, he is top class, and even as a teammate off the field, he is very helpful. Under his leadership, Delhi Daredevils are looking good.

Is money a distraction?

Not at all. We are professional cricketers and we know one thing: as long as we are playing well for our city, state or country, money is something which will take care of itself. If tomorrow, we stop performing, money will stop flowing. So, money is not an issue with a cricketer. It's only the outside world which talks about it.

Is it quality cricket or the Bollywood stars which is attracting fans to the stadium?

If you ask this question to a cricketer, he will obviously say it is the cricket. But the presence of Bollywood stars is certainly adding to the excitement. With time, I am sure more and more cricket fans will get involved.

Is it exciting for cricketers to have Bollywood stars around?

Once you are on the field, nothing really matters. It's only how we can win the match that counts

No comments:

Privacy Policy / Disclaimer